Monday, September 15, 2014

Running for a Cause Update

"A runner is real when they take the first step." -Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Well, today it's really official, folks. I signed up and paid for the half marathon! No turning back now... here's a map of the course. I hope to start completing my long runs on the actual course so that I can get a feel and really prepare for the nasty hills that are involved!

If you haven't had a chance to donate yet, here's a link to our donation website. We are already 38% to our goal with about 5 weeks left!! I'm so excited!!

This week I'd like to highlight a myth about organ donation. More than once I've heard someone express concern about organ donation because they are afraid emergency respondents won't try as hard to save their life in the event of an accident if they know that the victim is an organ donor. Here's what Donate Life SC has to say about that:


MYTH: A physician or EMT may not do everything possible to care for me in an emergency situation in order to take my organs for transplant. 
FACT: Upon arrival at an accident scene or upon receiving you in the emergency room, all medical personnel immediately spring into action to try and save your life. Physicians involved in a patient's care by law have nothing to do with transplant programs. Death can be declared only by following strict medical and legal guidelines and usually with the input of more than one physician. The local organ procurement organization does not become involved until all lifesaving efforts have failed and death has occurred. 


Visit Donate Life SC's website to learn more about organ donation. If you're not currently registered to be an organ donor, you can do so on their website as well!

This week's training update is somewhat anti-climactic. I've been suffering from a nasty sinus infection which has held me to 5.5 mi on my past two long runs. I'm still meeting my goal race pace, though! Hopefully once I'm through with this sickness (and the nasty side effects of the antibiotics!) I will be back on track. Dale didn't manage to get a long run in this week, but he is already way ahead of me in training so we don't need to be too worried about him! And he will hate that I'm posting this, because he doesn't want anyone to know how nice he really is... but when I texted him this morning about signing up he said "Good for u. U will do great." Awww! So sweet!!

On a more fun note... I'm starting to shop for race gear! First on the list... new shoes!! I've always loved the Mizuno Wave Inspire, and I found a sweet deal on them online at Amazon for $85. Any other shoe recommendations?



Though I'm not normally a graphic tee person, I have been craving a clever tank top from LookHuman.com. Their tanks have hilarious slogans that make me laugh and also inspire me to run in a very tongue-in-cheek sort of way. These are my favorites so far. Which one do you think I should wear on race day?





All for now, more to come. 

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment