Saturday, August 10, 2013

Trail etiquette

"You can't run and stay mad!" - Katherine Switzer

I'm fortunate enough to live right off of the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville, SC. The old railroad tracks converted to a 30+ mile long paved trail are popular amongst Greenvillians for walking, running, cycling, rollerblading, and that strange version of rollerblading that involves long poles like you're skiing.

As I was running my usual route today, sans headphones, I enjoyed the sights and sounds of the trails and waved at my fellow runners. But, as always, there were several folks that seemed hell bent on ruining my recreational run. I realized that it was merely their ignorance of proper trail etiquette that caused them to behave in such an obnoxious manner. And thus I have taken it upon myself to educate the general public on proper etiquette while enjoying public trails.

 
Trail Etiquette
 
1. No smoking. I mean for real people...need I explain why? Those of us who are somewhat healthy human beings do not appreciate how you so inconsiderately give in to your addiction and poison our lungs as we're gasping for air in the 90+ degree, 100% humidity Greenville sun.
 
2. Pay attention. Seriously, open your eyes. I know you have headphones in while you're trying to run a full mile, and you're about to pass out because you haven't had any physical activity in years, but that's no excuse for you to stop dead in the middle of the trail or veer suddenly to the side when I'm trying to pass you. Be aware of your surroundings before you get run over by a cyclist!
 
3. Get out of the way. Once you've accomplished #2, and you're now aware that you're in people's way, move! If you're a family of ten on a bike ride and you need to stop for water, don't stop and take up the entire trail. Politely move to the side so the rest of us can get around you.
 
4. Wave at other runners. It's the polite thing to do. We're comrades-in-arms, all out there sweating our asses off in the disgusting southern heat. We're all miserable, just trying to keep pace and finish our distance. It's so simple to wave at other runners, yet incredibly encouraging. If we all gave one another the proverbial "runners wave," the world would be a better place.
 
So please, before you tackle the trails, keep the rules of proper Trail Etiquette in mind. I and the rest of the world will thank you for it.
 
 

A perfect day on the Swamp Rabbit Trail - no rude people in sight!
 
 
 
All for now, more to come.
 
-A


No comments:

Post a Comment