Monday, March 31, 2014

Letter to the person that called me "fatty"

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Dear Stranger that called me "fatty" today,

"Fatty!!"

That is what you shouted at me from their car as I began my run this afternoon. It took me by surprise, for a number of reasons. The main reason being that you are wrong. I am not fat. I am 5' 2" and 120 lbs -- a perfectly healthy BMI. Do I look like Giselle? No. Do I have some cellulite? Yes. Am I fat? Hell no. You're wrong.

I was pretty pissed off, to say the least. My solo runs are "me" time - a time to get in touch with my thoughts and feelings, let go of stress and anxiety, and feel good about my physicality. How dare you ruin this for me!

I really don't understand why people feel the need to carelessly and thoughtlessly hurt others. I'm not sure if your intention was to hurt me or not, but the fact that you obviously didn't care if it did stuns me. I'm a positive person. I believe that doing good will bring good back to you. I try my very best to treat others with respect, and I don't think it's so hard for others to do the same. You must feel and think differently.

But the main point that I want to get across to you, cruel, hateful stranger, is this: I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you are such a small person that you felt the need to put me down. I'm sorry that you don't have the awareness to realize the effects your actions have on others. I'm sorry that you must have such a low self-esteem and sense of self-worth that you needed that moment today to validate your puny existence.

I'm proud of myself. Eight years ago I couldn't run a mile. I had never been to a gym other than what was required in PE class. I didn't know or value the things that my body is capable of. Now fitness is a daily part of my life. I have run numerous 5k races, two mud runs, and a half marathon. I do something to sweat 6 days out of the week. And you know what? I look great. And I feel great. And if I find that I don't look or feel great, I do something about it. Can you say the same? My legs carry me miles. They are thick and strong. My core stands me up as straight as I can possibly be with a 17 degree curve in my spine. My arms can lift and carry up to ten grocery bags up three flights of stairs to my apartment, and my lungs won't leave me winded. Can you say the same? I love myself. I love my body and what it's capable of. Can you say the same?

Again, I'm very sorry. Your life must be much harder than mine. I wish that someday you find the inner strength to be able to say nice things about yourself, and believe them.

-Alissa


(Sorry to my readers, if you feel this is harsh. But really, how rude of this dude to call me a fatty!!)

Post run selfie. Screw you, rude dude. I'm cute.

This is what I wore and looked like when running. Dang, girl. You's a fatty...??

Sticks and stones may break my bones... but you're a giant d-bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment