Truer words have never been spoken, ol' Georgie boy. I love food and I love to eat. I do not know where this love comes from - perhaps my heritage (Italian, French, German, and English), or my upbringing (everyone in my family cooked growing up), or my exercise regimen (I workout, therefore, I am hungry) - but is a deep and unwavering love that will be a part of me for my whole life.
As I look forward to a trip to my motherland, New England, in two short weeks, one of the first things that comes to my mind is the delicious food options that will be available to me. If ever you're visiting the greater Rhode Island/Western Massachusetts area, I beg of you: try these places!!
D'Angelo Grilled Subs (Multiple New England locations)
This beloved sandwich chain with the common misnomer D'Angelo's is SO much better than your average Subway. It has evolved over the years and seems to have more a sophisticated menu, but their classic Italian sandwich (or "grinder," if you're a true Rhode Islander) is still just as good. I'll never forget my mother ordering one for me when I was probably 6 or 7 on a weekend shopping outing with her and my brother - it was like Italian heaven in my mouth.

Coffee and Cream (North Smithfield, RI)
Before those franchised, run-of-the-mill pancake houses and late night breakfast joints (I'm lookin' at you, IHOP and Waffle House), I had Coffee and Cream. Delicious, buttery blueberry muffins. Fluffy pancakes. Hot coffee...at any time of night?! That's a goody-two-shoes teenager's dream, right there. Post-prom, post-toilet-papering adventures, post Friday 7pm movies, this was the spot to go for a breakfast sugar rush. I have so many beloved memories of goofing off with friends and having a good old fashioned good time here that even though prices have gone up in the past 10 years, I'd still down a short stack smothered in syrup any day. http://www.coffeeandcream.biz/menu
Beef Barn (North Smithfield, RI)
When I wasn't seeking out a sugary rush and needed a little more protein, there was Beef Barn, conveniently right next door to Coffee and Cream. Their classic hamburgers, greasy, salty fries, and antique barn equipment for decorations are a New England staple for me.
Kay's (Woonsocket, RI)
During my high school days I often gallivanted around the small city of Woonsocket, RI to hang out with my "much cooler" private school friends. And nothing tasted better after hours of hanging out in a smelly hockey rink than a simplistic sandwich with ruffle potato chips and a pickle from Kay's. There's no shortage of mayo on these tasty white bread sandwiches, and I'm sure I could make one just as easily at home... but there's something about the dark, outdated decor that creates just the right ambiance for the best sandwiches in town. http://www.kaysrestaurant.com/index.html
Wright's Farm (Harrisville, RI)
My hometown's claim to fame - Wright's Chicken Farm - is an institution. No graduation, prom, semi formal, birthday, anniversary, or any other special occasion is complete without a trip to Wright's. Their family style chicken dinners come with incredible pasta and french fries on the side (potatoes are a vegetable, right?). You'll roll your overstuffed belly out of there with the smell of chicken grease in your hair and a smile on your face every time.
Critically acclaimed, locally beloved, and totally delicious restaurant "New England Steakhouse" is the place to go if you want to class it up for a night. You'll start your meal with a variety of delicious rolls - onion rolls, cinnamon rolls, pumpkin bread, and more - then move on to the best steak you've ever eaten. Ever. Period. I'm already planning my birthday dinner in December at this restaurant. Words can't describe, but the Phantom Gourmet does a pretty good job in his video on the homepage. This is a must-dine for Southern New England!
Hopefully I'll be able to hit up one or more of these New England classics while I'm running around like a crazy person in two weeks. I'll just have to make sure I do it after I try on bridesmaids dresses...
All for now, more to come.
-A
Hey, how about Burrillville, RI, home of Tom's World Famous Clam Chowder?
ReplyDelete