Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Things For Which I Am Thankful: 2013

"When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect towards others." - Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama is a smart man. Being grateful, or thankful, should instill a sense of respect in me (which, let's be honest, sometimes I lack). So, in honor of Thanksgiving, I think I'll practice being thankful.

Things For Which I Am Thankful: 2013
 
1. I am thankful that there is only one more regular season Clemson football game. Ahem. I mean Go Tigers!
 
2. I am thankful that I have approximately 33% of my Christmas shopping done. Last year at this time I had 0% done!
 
3. I am thankful for my new job where I make more money and experience much less stress.
 
4. I am thankful that my current head cold has not yet progressed to a raging sinus infection.
 
5. I am thankful that this year for Thanksgiving, I get to spend lots of time with my best friend and her family in a lovely house that has a SAUNA!! Booyah. Perhaps this will help keep my head cold from progressing to a sinus infection.
 
And now I will leave you with a quick recipe for some yummy turkey stock to make with your leftovers after Thanksgiving!
 
The makings of a tasty turkey stock!
 
 
Turkey Stock Recipe
 
Ingredients:
- Remainder of roasted Thanksgiving turkey (bones, skin, pan drippings)
- 8 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 whole carrots, halved
- 3 stalks of celery, halved
- 1 onion, halved, with skin still on
- Salt and pepper, to taste
**Note: Do not add salt if your turkey was brined. The remainder of the turkey will be salty enough!
 
Add all ingredients to a large pot, and as my mother would say, "boil the shit out of it." What she means, is bring to a boil and then lower to medium heat, cover, and cook for about 1.5 to 2 hours.
 
Remove all solid ingredients, carefully removing all small turkey bones. If making turkey soup, you can leave the turkey meat that has fallen off of the bone. Let the stock cool and sit for an hour. This allows the fat to separate. Skim the fat off the top, and you're ready to make turkey soup or whatever else you like with your delicious turkey stock!
 
All for now, more to come!
 
-A
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Ahem. It really means 4-6 hours (and if you do, toss the meat. All the flavor is in the stock.) Love, the Velvet Steamroller ;-)

    ReplyDelete