Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Southerner's Guide to Driving in the Snow

Originally from Rhode Island, I grew up driving in nasty weather. 

The first time I had to drive in the snow, I traveled approximately 50 miles between Massachusetts and Rhode Island with two passengers in tow. We had to go feed the horses. The roads were covered in a nasty rain, sleet, ice, and snow combination that no amount of road salt could temper. After skidding through a red light, getting stuck going up a hill, and spinning in a complete 180 around a turn, I learned the basics of driving in the snow that helped me survive a few more winters in New England. 

But of course, there is always more to learn. Here are a few valuable lessons I've learned from my southern friends about driving in icky weather. 

- Headlights are apparently optional, even if it's raining sideways or surprisingly snowing...even if it's night time!

- If it's anything short of a tornado, you MUST drive ten under the speed limit, and tap your brakes repeatedly on the highway. 

- The only exception to the above rule is if you are in a parking lot, in which case feel free to drive as fast as you can and skid sideways into that parking spot Ace Ventura style. 

- If it's snowing, stop. Just stop what you're doing. You cannot drive in the snow. Just don't do it. If you must, do not exceed 15 mph. 

- If you have to turn, make sure to press on the brakes HARD and turn your wheel at the same time. This is the safest and most effective way to turn in the snow. 

Thank you to my southern homies for teaching me these valuable rules of the road!!

All for now, more to come! 

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment