Monday, December 9, 2013

25 Things I've Learned in 25 Years (about myself and life)

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Tomorrow I will be 26 years old. That means I have survived this crazy world for a 25 years... a quarter of a century. While I do not yet count myself as "wise," I have learned a few things about myself and about life along the way. Nothing profound, nothing life-altering, nothing that hasn't been said before... but lessons that have carried me through 25 years that might be a wee bit relatable to my loyal audience. I have many, many people in my life to thank for teaching me these beautiful lessons. I'm not going to call you all out by name... but you know who you are. And so, without further ado, in no particular order:

- Not everyone is going to like me (or you, for that matter). No matter how likeable we are, no matter how nice, beautiful, smart, funny... there is someone out there that just isn't going to like us. Humph.

- Doing your homework will help you get good grades.

- Asking for help can be the salvation from many a troubling circumstance. As badly as I might want to go it alone, there are times when I must swallow my pride and ask for help.

- Balance between work and play is the best way to stay healthy and sane. All things in moderation.

- God loves me. He must. How on earth could I have possibly survived this long without Him saving my ass repeatedly? Seriously, it's a small miracle. But just in case I'm about to go knock on some wood.

- Two-day hangovers are a very real, and very tragic thing.

- High heels really do make your legs look better.

- Exercise is good for you. A wise, wise woman once said "Exercise releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! And happy people just don't kill their husbands."

- Finding people that understand you, really understand you, is a miracle. I'm so thankful to have more than one of those people in my life, and I intend to hang on to them for as long as possible.

- Cats do not like their tummies rubbed. Just don't do it. Trust me.

- It's OK to say "no," sometimes. When what someone wants you to do something that doesn't feel right, when you're exhausted, when you're sick, when you're sad and all you want to do is lay on the couch.

- Sometimes big changes are just what you need. Moving to SC, deciding to stay in SC, changing jobs... I'm so thankful for where I am today because I had the courage to make those big changes in my life.

- Compromise is important.

- But you should never compromise your values or what you deserve in a relationship (romantic, friendship, professional/work, etc).

- Mom is always right. And by always I mean about 95% of the time.

- Feelings are inevitable. You can try to eat them away, drink them away, stuff them down deep inside and sit on them, but they don't go away. They're there. And you have to deal with them.

- One of the best feelings in the world is a hot shower after a run on an autumn day.

- Everybody poops.

- My parents' generation will always have better taste in music than I do.

- Saying "thank you" is one of the most powerful things you can tell someone. Expressing gratitude is an art.

- It's OK to value delicious food over 6 pack abs. We can't all be Giselle.

- Treat others how you would want to be treated. Karma is real, and she's a bitch.

- Sleep is invaluable and incredibly necessary.

- I am a lucky, blessed human being.

All for now, more to come.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment