Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Wish for You in 2014

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art - write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." - Neil Gaiman

To anyone whom I have ever loved, that I love now, will love someday but just haven't encountered yet. Also to anyone else in the world. This is my letter to you.

To whom it may concern:

The custom of New Year's Resolutions dictate that we evaluate our lives and make resolutions to improve ourselves in the coming year. While in some ways this can be a very positive exercise, I find that it often leads me down a path of negative thinking. I reflect on my shortcomings from the year, set lofty goals for myself, and lose sight of the motivation that should push me to do better.

Instead, I propose an alternative: a "wish list" of sorts that I hope will take away the inherent self-centeredness of traditional New Year's Resolutions and inspire you to love yourself and be the best self you can possibly be in the year(s) to come.

Here is my 2014 Wish List for You:

- I wish that at midnight tonight, New Year's Eve, that you enjoy a lovely champagne (or sparkling cider) toast with someone you love.

- I wish for you a balance in your everyday life between work, play, relaxation, and introspection.

- I wish that you will find your best motivator; the thing that above all else will inspire you to "just keep swimming" on those days when it gets really tough.

- I wish that you will love yourself by feeding both your body and soul - whether that means eating grilled chicken on a bed of leafy greens or indulging in the red wine and chocolate becase it's been "one of those days."

- I wish that you have the strength to forgive yourself when you (inevitably) make a mistake. We're all humans, no one's perfect, and it's OK if you mess up once in a while.

- I wish that you will lose yourself in laughter as often as possible. Laughter is, after all, the best medicine.

- I wish that you will share as much of your love with others as you can; there can never be too much love in this world.

- I wish that you will learn something new about the world.

- I wish that you will discover something new about yourself.

- Above all, I wish you a life filled with FUN and LOVE and HAPPINESS created by none other than yourself.

Happy New Year - cheers!



All for now, more to come.

-A

1 comment: